I didn't get a good feeling about the class, so I decided to hang out for a while today as well. Unfortunately, for that particular goal, the Koala Bears were not actually in class this morning. Instead, Desert Dave came in to show the kids his reptile collection. I can describe what happened next but I'm certain I cannot adequately explain how it felt to live it!
We walked to the classroom where Desert Dave was going to present. Makena thought I was going to leave her so she started to cry. I convinced her that I was staying and we sat on those itty bitty kid chairs. Desert Dave brought out a tortoise first and walked around the room for the kids to pet her. Makena passed on that, but she was game for the next tortoise, and the next 5 lizards. And the next snake. Then, when Desert Dave asked for a helper to walk around the class with the next snake wrapped around her/his neck -- it might tickle a bit, Makena put her fingers to her neck and did the tickle motion, looked at me and said, "I want to do it." "You do?" "Yes." (Really? Crap. Wow! What a superstar! I hate snakes. She's so brave. I really hate snakes. --all those thoughts collided inside me head at once.) So, I looked at Desert Dave who gave me the nod to bring her up. Next thing I know he's wrapping the snake around my little girl's neck. Mind you, the photos below take about 20 pounds off the snake. He was MUCH bigger in person.
Makena made it a third of the way around the room before she asked to have the snake removed. She was very calm still. I am sooo proud of her. She, at 3, has done something that I have never nor will never do! Amazing.
I have to say that one of the most difficult parts about today was that I almost missed it. I had no idea they were doing this. Had they told me that Desert Dave was going to be there showing off reptiles, I probably wouldn't have gotten that excited about it. I was so bummed that Mark, Grandma and Grandpa missed out on it and that I almost did too! Though, I suspect Makena was a more willing participant because I was there, so she may not have actually worn the snake if I wasn't, but still I would have missed the rest of it too! Only one other parent was there. I feel so sorry for those that missed out!
Anyway, having not known what was going on, I didn't bring me camera. So, I asked one of the teachers to take some photos. They aren't the best quality, but I'm so happy to have them!!
2 comments:
WOW! what a brave girl! i've never had a problem with snakes...in fact i have a similar picture with a boa constrictor around my shoulders (of course, i was much older). maybe this means she won't be afraid of spiders/roaches either. :)
Brrr...brave little girl!
Post a Comment