Friday, July 18, 2008

The Last Few Weeks

Time to catch up again.

Kessler is 1.

Yep, I can't believe it but Kessler turned one last Friday, July 11th. We celebrated by combining our company party in LA with a trip to Disneyland and another trip to Catalina Island. Here are some photos of Kessler with his cake!



Semi-Sub

Here are some photos of the ride we took on the Semi-Submersible Sub on Catalina:



More Cataline Photos

We ate at a restaurant that we had never eaten at before. It was sooo good! But anyway--more photos.



The Fun Daddy.



The Bad Daddy.

Mark convinced Makena the underpants that grandma and grandpa gave her was actually a hat. Mind you, he convinced her by putting a pair on his head, but I couldn't get the camera fast enough.



Fourth of July
It was even colder than these photos would lead you to believe. The fireworks were late to start. Kessler was fussy, but as soon as they started the had his full undivided attention! Makena loved them as well.



Fruits of our Labor

Mark and I have been trying to stop Makena from getting upset about flies. We've been telling her, "there's no need to get upset; when you see one, just say shew fly."
Fast forward to the drive to the airport to pick up grandma and grandpa a few weeks ago. A driver driving much too slow for Mark's liking was ahead of us. Here's a transcript from the conversation that followed:
Mark: "Move, you schmuck."
Makena: "Daddy! Don't say that!"
Mark: "Don't say what sweetheart?"
Makena: "F---. Say, 'shew fly' instead."

Rocket ship

A few weeks ago I bought a different brand of milk. I think I bought it because the supermarket was out of our usual and this particular one had Omega 3. Anyway, the change did not go unnoticed by Makena. She started and kept asking for "Rocket ship Milk". Sure enough, there's a rocket ship on the milk carton. For several days, whenever we went anywhere that might sell milk, Makena would ask for "Rocket ship Milk." I have managed to successfully dance around the fact that we are no longer buying that milk because it's not organic and it's much more expensive than the organic milk we usually buy. I mention the milk story because I have no idea whether it's related to another Makenaism. We've been to Santa Cruz a few times this year. Makena is brave and will do just about any ride. We do recall one ride that did not require a lot of bravery--some rocket ships going around in circles. It really is quite forgettable. Anyway, on the drive home Makena asked, "Do you remember my rocket ship?" She asked this over and over and over again. She's ask, we'd answer, she'd ask again, we'd answer and so on. It did somehow transition to "What color is my rocket ship?" and "What color is your rocket ship, Mommy/Daddy/Kessler?" Mark and I could never quite connect this to the ride as Makena didn't really seem to remember the unmemorable ride. Maybe it was the milk?

1 comment:

Femme au Foyer said...

Happy Birthday, Kessie-Kess! And Mark is too funny with the whole underpants/hat charade. Makena will pay him back tenfold when she's old enough to think of something good. Her surrogate "Auntie Femme" will help her!