Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Expensive Lesson

I think I'm going to be sick.

Mark's 40th birthday is in September. In December I started to plan a surprise birthday party for him.. in Fiji. I booked the flight/hotel in January only to have one of Mark's friends RSVP yes. No biggie, we need a vacation anyway. I paid for the travel insurance thinking I'd be safe if I needed to make changes. I did tell Mark that I had planned the trip and gave him the dates; he was unaware that his friend would be coming from Australia.

Meanwhile, Mark has been working really hard to establish a relationship with SAP for our business. Long story short, it's working. He suggested a joint road show with them to promote some services we offer. They loved the idea and totally ran with it. Last week they selected the dates. Yep, they conflict with our trip. Thank goodness for the travel insurance, right?

Upon reading the fine print, I realized I've been dupped. For $107.95 I purchased the right to receive a refund of $800 per ticket provided there is a death or serious injury with one of the traveling parties!! That's it. Oh, and if we have a documented accident on the way to the airport to catch our flight.. well, they'll provide the refund then as well. It gets worse. We do receive a credit for the tickets, but the credit has to be used within one year of the purchase date. That was January, even though the travel dates were in September. We aren't going to be able to travel internationally before then! And, if we could, they are going to charge us a $280 reissue fee per ticket.

4 comments:

blog author said...

oh no!!! that sounds like my health insurance...we insure you, unless you get sick. what a rip off...

poor thing. will your credit card company or the airline or anything help? i know when i've had to change a trip for whatever reason, the airline charged me $100 to do it, but i didnt lose ALL my money that way.

good luck!

K said...

I never thought about contacting our credit card company. We nearly always use our Amex because they are supposed to be good. I'm not sure what "good" means. I wonder if they would negotiate with travelocity?

Femme au Foyer said...

Definitely give Amex a call. Husband's father uses them all the time for travel and they've done pretty well. Hopefully they can help somehow. I feel sick for you!

Katie said...

I agree, definitely call Amex. I talked to an innkeeper a few months ago who had a similar incident and Amex, in all their awesomeness, refunded him in full!

At least, that's the way I remember the story going....