Monday, October 27, 2008

The 'goings on' of last week.

Sore Tongue

Last weekend Makena started to complain of a sore tongue. Sometimes it was sore teeth. She woke up from her nap on Monday in tears because of it. She also had a fever so I made an appointment to see the doctor. Mark suggested that it was actually a sore throat—that never occurred to me! We had to go to a different office and see a different doctor. She was extremely nice, but the love was short lived. The doctor had to be quite aggressive with the tongue depressor and Makena was equally as aggressive in response. Somehow saliva flung into the doctor’s eye (behind her glasses) and Kessler was kicked. A strep test was done (more tongue depressors with cotton swabs this time) but the in office test results came back negative. The doctor suggested Motrin for her fever and we were on our way home. She was better the next day so she went to school. Unfortunately the rest of us felt like crap so Mark stayed home from work.

Kessler’s 15 month checkup!

He’s still a big boy!
Height: 34 ¼ inches (>100%)
Weight: 25 lbs 12 oz (70%)
Head Cir: 50 (97%)

He had a fever the day before so we skipped vaccinations. Unfortunately for Makena, the doctor’s handy chart let her know that they were out of the Hepatitis Vaccine at her last check up so she suggested Makena get it that day, along with a flu mist. The mist went pretty well. The shot didn’t. It’s tough because Makena is getting increasingly aware of what’s going on. She didn’t associate vaccinations with doctor visits, but she will now. The nurse obtained her trust—told her it would feel like a pinch. Makena was such a good girl but 3 seconds after it was over she realized that it hurt more than a pinch. But, she did get an extra sticker out of it, so it wasn’t a total loss.

Halloween Party

We saw our neighbors outside on Saturday. They invited us to a Halloween party they were having later that evening. I could not get a decent photo for nothing! Here’s the best I could do while we were home. We took some photos with the other camera, but I can’t find it at this moment. Go figure.







We couldn’t find one of Kessler’s claws! So, he’s wearing a Halloween sock on one of his feet.

Dreaded Saturday Night

The party was fun, but by 9:00 Kessler had had enough. We came home and got everyone to bed. At 12:30, we awoke to Makena screaming and crying. I ran to her room—I met her as she was coming out. She was still crying and trying to tell me that she had thrown up. That she did! Mark went to clean it up and I gave Makena a bath. We don’t really use a monitor with her anymore. She and Kessler like to play with it and either unplug it or change the channel so the receiver doesn’t synch up with it. Sometimes, she will have a mishap, like losing Ellie, and she’ll cry for us. We don’t always hear her. A few times she has gotten so upset that she’s thrown up. I thought this was one of those times. I was explaining to her how important it was to come to our room rather than get upset and throw up. She seemed to understand. When I put her back to bed I turned on her monitor. An hour or so later I heard her coughing a little. Then I heard our door open and she came over to my side of the bed. She calmly told me she needed to clean her face. I thought maybe she had a runny nose, so I went to the bathroom to get a tissue. When I turned the light on I saw that she had thrown up all over herself again!! I told Mark. Makena said, “I didn’t cry, Mommy.” Obviously, she remembered our earlier conversation and thought I was telling her not to cry when she threw up—rather than not to cry and make yourself throw up! Poor baby!!!! And, obviously I had gotten it wrong earlier as well. She had probably thrown up then cried! We decided to keep her in our room and she threw up 4 or 5 more times until morning. I called the doctor's office at one point. When Makena heard me say "doctor" she said, "I don't need to go! I don't want her to look at my teeth. I don't want her to pinch." Poor thing! Once she was awake we followed the on-call nurse’s advice to give her a teaspoon of Pedialyte every 5 minutes. She finally stopped vomiting at 7:30 and was good for the rest of the day. She fell asleep watching Mickey at around noon. She didn’t wake up until after 4:00—she was so exhausted, but she’s all better now. And none of the rest of us caught it! Thank goodness!

It Makes Sense

I decided to take the kids to Gracie’s Place again today, specifically so Kessler could get more comfortable there. So, I loaded them into the car—remembering that when we went out yesterday, I brought my keys. I do this a lot even though Mark is driving and has his keys. It’s a bad habit because I tend to hide them somewhere in the car so they can’t be seen when we are out of the car doing something. I do such a great job that I forget to take them inside when I get back home. Anyway, I was running from the garage to the house trying to find them. The kiddos were already loaded—that’s an accomplishment I didn’t want wasted! I heard Makena singing on one of my trips to the car. She was singing “Puff the Magic Dragon”. I’ve never heard her singing this by herself so I slowed my frantic pace to listen. Here was her rendition.

Puff the magic dragon libed by the sea
And frolicked in da autumn mist
In Hallloooweeen

So sweet. She was singing it again when we were driving to Gracie’s Place. It’s so tough sometimes to correct them when they are doing something so cute, but I told her it's Honah-Lee. She thought about it for a second then told me, no, it’s Halloween. It’s really hard to argue. I mean, she learns a new song just a few days before Halloween, it would make sense that the word in question is Halloween, not Honah-Lee.

2 comments:

Femme au Foyer said...

Ugh--the vomit! I just now realized how much I have to look forward to.

When I was little I had a vomit fest one day, much like Makena's. I overheard my parents say, "If she throws up one more time, we'll have to take her to the emergency room." I never threw up again.

K said...

Your comment just made me remember something I forgot to write about. I just added it, but she told me she didn't want to go to the doctor because she didn't want to be pinched and she didn't want them to look at her teeth. Unfortuntely, she couldn't stop throwing up.

There have been three times when Makena has been REALLY sick. Saturday was the least of the three, but it was still miserable. You feel sooo awful for them and there's really nothing you can do but keep cleaning it up.