Merlin (the one that hijacked my purse on Tuesday) used to get in the trash every time we'd leave the house. It was disgusting. It made the house so gross; I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry rather than clean it up... again. Our first solution was to put the trash can in a cabinet. That worked for 2.5 days. Then we had to put one of those child proofing mechanisms on the cabinet. You know, the ones that allow you to open the door a couple of inches then you push down the plastic thing and it disengages the stopper on the frame. That worked for 4.75 days. We lived like this for several months trying to remember to take out the trash whenever we left the house. We often forgot.
I couldn't take it anymore, so several weeks ago we installed a magnetic child locking mechanism. It was a major remodel by our standards. In case you don't know, the way it works is you drill a pretty large hole into the cabinet. There's a metal piece that's attached to the lock that goes in the hole. The point is to get the metal piece close enough to the outside of the door so that the magnetic key can be held against the outside of the door causing the lock to disengage. It took a while, but we finally got it installed properly.
We hate it because it works so well. You can imagine how much it sucks to have to get a key each time you want to open the cabinet to throw away garbage. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I came home and the trash was strewn all over the place, just like the good ole days. It happened the next day too. Again, like with the purse incident, I thought I was going crazy. I must not be closing the door, I thought. Even though EVERY single time I try to open the damn door, it's closed. The same thing has happened every day since, sometimes multiple times a day. I have tried every which way under the sun to open the damn door without the magnet. It doesn't budge--it doesn't even pretend to budge.
Finally, I remembered to double-check it before I left the house this morning. Again, the trash was everywhere when we returned. So, tonight I put a ton of bread in the trash; the f'er loves bread! I set up my Flip camera to record the cabinet. He's toast, right?
Two minutes and eight seconds of absolutely nothing passes, then this:
After he knocks the camera over you can hear him walk to the cabinet and several seconds later you can hear the bread bag crumpling.
Obviously, the time has finally come to accept that the f’ing dog is a helluvalot smarter than me.
4 comments:
To quote Tom, "No wonder you named him Merlin, he's a freaking wizard!"
So you see, it's all your fault. He's just living up to his name. Perhaps you should pen a memoir titled, "Merlin and Me".
What's with the weird lite saber sound that starts at the two minute mark?
Thanks for the laugh! We were practically crying when we watched the video!
His previous owners named him Merlin--maybe that's why they are his previous owners.
The sound became warped when I loaded it on the blog for some reason. The lite saber sound is the bag that the bread was in. It's the see-thru kind that fresh bread comes in. It's much louder than a normal bag, but doesn't usually sound like a lite saber.. unless of course you're in the Pellas house where the four legged MacGuyver resides.
u ever gonna post again or what?!? im waiting......
Maryjo--I did, but nothing about Merlin. Did you see those?
(This is Kelly, not Mark.. too lazy to log him out and log myself in.. though, by the time I typed the explanaton I could have. I'm good like that..)
Post a Comment