Monday, December 1, 2008

How much is that doggie....

It never ceases to amaze me how both of our kids respond to kid's music. One day, ages ago, Makena was crying in the car. We tried everything to get her to settle, but nothing worked. So, we turned on a kid's CD that we'd had for ages. It worked like a charm. Now, why does the annoying CD featuring awful songs sung by kids who shouldn't be singing appease kids when music that makes me happy won't?

I thought this was just a Makena thing, but "Mary had a Little Lamb" has been working wonders on Kessler. There are several songs on this particular CD that I can't stand. One has to do with pigs saying "wee wee" instead of "oink oink" or something.. and they end up dying. Something bad happens to some kittens in another song. So, I spend a lot of time skipping songs.

Anyway, the other day I noticed that Kessler was making a "squeaking" sound. It's a sound he's made before. It took me a while to make the connection--he was barking. Actually, he was singing the part of the dog that's barking in the song "How Much is that Doggie in the Window."

The next time I played it for Mark--Kessler did the same thing. I took a video of him just hanging out listening to the track before "Doggie" so you can see it's not a fluke. I am including the whole video, even though I did a horrible job, because he's so damn cute.. looking out the window and picking up his milk.


It has since occurred to me that another sound he makes is a fire engine. We are constantly pointing them out to Makena. And we used to always ask her what they "say". He's been making the sound for a while, but I never made the connection. He also says "diggadiggadigga". We always point out diggers. Amazing that he so smart and we're so stupid.

Speaking of "Mary had a Little Lamb"....

No comments: