Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Potty Training

Jeez, I love my kids.

Mark and I have been trying to get Makena to consistently use the potty. We started by trying to convert her to pull-ups but they really are no different than a diaper as far as she's concerned. So for several months now she has been doing some of her business on the potty and the rest in her diaper/pull-ups.

Yesterday I decided to try big girl underwear. We've had them for months and let her try them on a few times. But, for some damn reason we kept expecting her to say to us, "Okay, I'm ready now. Whether you put me in pull-ups or underwear, I shall no longer urinate or defecate in them. Yes, dear parents, from this point forward I will beckon you hither to assist me whenever I ever-so-much-as get the slightest inclination to potty." Fancy that not happening. Instead, after the mere suggestion yesterday morning, she happily put on her big girl underwear. Shortly after, she peed in them. But, then we knew what happens when you pee in big girl underwear. Interestingly enough, the same thing happens when you pee in them while lying in your bed. Lesson learned. The rest of the day when I asked if she needed to go to the potty, she said yes if she did and no if she didn't. I put a diaper on her when we went to the gym as to not make going to the gym as traumatic for her as it is for me (for different reasons). When we came home her diaper was dry.

Well, I'll be damned.

So this morning, feeling very confident, like someone about to win the Parent of the Year award, I donned Makena in her best Elmo underwear. I packed two spares of everything and drove her to school--promising to buy her play-doh when I get the news that she went pee-pee/poopy in the potty at school (something she's never done).

Guess what she was wearing when I arrived to pick her up. The same thing she was wearing when I dropped her off!! She raced over to let me know that she did, in fact, go pee-pee in the potty!!

I'll be double-damned.

Tomorrow I'm going shopping for the biggest pack of play-doh I can find!!

4 comments:

Femme au Foyer said...

What a good girl! Let her know that Husband and I ae proud of her and promise to give her chocolate when we see her next!

K said...

While I'm certain she wouldn't turn down your chocolate, she might be better served if you gave her parents some parenting books!

blog author said...

WHOOHOO!!! i know that's gotta be exciting for you. if only i could train Zeke to go right in the poop bag...man, that'd be nice. :)

K said...

AHHAHAHAAH! Merlin doesn't go in the poop bag, but Mark gets Makena SO excited to pick up after him. She and he each get a bag and go on a poop hunt. She only gets to pick up bark now though, but he's definitely getting her ready to take over the job!