This is so much the case that I took singing lessons shortly after Makena was born so I wouldn't make her cry when I sang her lullabies. Not that she did cry, but it would have been a perfectly reasonable response. The lessons helped the ittiest bit--my teacher taught me to whisper-sing. I'm pretty sure she made up this technique, but it did relieve the guilt I felt about possibly being brought up on charges for child abuse by vocal torture.
While I can't sing, Mark can. He's quite talented actually. He also plays the piano well and can often just recreate any song he hears. I'm not sure whether my disinclination to music is related to my clear lack of talent, but I've never been one to know who sings what song and who's the latest rising star. I do like a good song, but it takes a bit for me to even make the mental note of the title/artist. Mark, on the other hand, listens to every genre--jazz, country, hip hop.. you name it, it's on his iPod, along with a bunch of other songs you can't name.
No matter which way you slice it, Mark has an affinity toward music. With it comes an almost compulsory need to sing along with whatever song is playing. He thinks I'm making fun of him.. but I adore this. The other day we were driving along and the song, "Need You Now" by Lady Antebellum came on the radio. I couldn't help but smile at him, especially when he sang the "need" part--if you know the song you know what I'm talking about. The smile wasn't even a smile.. it was an ooze, but he doesn't know this; all he saw was the smile.
So, Markus, I declare before all four of the people who read my blog.. I love to hear you sing... don't ever stop!
5 comments:
I like to sing that Lady Antebellum song too! It must be the key that it's in...it just works well with my vocal range.
I had no idea that Mark was so talented, by the way.
Also, I took voice lessons for several years and I've never heard of the 'whisper-sing technique'. That's not to say it's not valid, but it certainly is suspect! Still, a lot of people sound good when they sing in a whisper, so I bet you do too!
Kelly - given that 2 of the 4 people reading this blog are you and I, and the other is Femme, I don't think this counts as a declaration.
Femme - please remember, to the tone deaf anything sounds 'right'. Everything, after all, is relative to your own ability.
Femme--I'm pretty certain the 'whisper-sing' is just what smart vocal instructors come up for those students that are especially vocally challenged.
Mark--You might be able to sing.. but you're still an ass.
I'm there with you, girl! I definitely had to 'whisper-sing' to my kids. This girl over here can NOT hold a note!
Sing me a song Mark!
Post a Comment