Facebook is only partly to blame. But, I'm mad at it at the moment so it's going to carry the brunt. Another culprit is my trading--that's probably more to blame than anything, but I can't be mad at it because you don't bite the hand that feeds you, someday. Any day? The other blog inhibitor is my sanity. Blogging used to be my therapy for the tough mommy days. Those days are much less frequent so therapy 5 times a week isn't necessary. Shew!
But, I know I'm going to regret not keeping a journal of the stories. There have been a few. Just the little things that make me smile just thinking about them.
I'll start with our trip to Australia in February for Julie and Ken's wedding. The trip there was quite noteworthy--4 flights, 36 hours! The kids were extremely tired. Kessler cried nearly the entire time from Brisbane to Melbourne, until the wheels hit the ground and he was out! I carried him through Melbourne airport, which was no small accomplishment. I'm glad I did though, for two reasons. The first of which is Kessler is getting so big. The days of carrying him are numbered. And secondly, it made me love the people of Melbourne. At least 5 people offered to help and countless others made some sort of endearing comment as they were passing by. It was quite sweet. I truly love the United States, but it makes me sad that these simple exchanges with strangers are gone.
Much of the rest of the trip was a blur because of jet lag and the fallout from trying to trade while there. There are a few things I do remember. The first is what an absolutely stunning bride Julie made. Not that I expected anything different, but she looked as if she stepped off the cover of a bridal magazine. Her dress was gorgeous!
The other thing I remember is the night before the wedding. Ken and Julie treated everyone to dinner. We were trying to get Kessler dressed. We pulled out his adorable little linen, long sleeve oxford shirt. He started crying as soon as he realized it was headed toward him! "No, I don't want to wear daddy's shirt!! I want to wear a baby shirt!!" Somehow, we won this battle, which still amazes me. Come to think of it, maybe we didn't win as I seem to remember Kessler being pretty cranky the rest of the evening.
Makena, on the other hand, loved getting dressed up! Lucky enough, she was able to do it again the next day. She and cousins, Phoebe and Ruby had the cutest little dresses. They looked like little princesses. Now, Makena is fascinated by weddings. She wanted to know if she could marry Kessler. She asked if we could go ask our neighbors if they would like to marry her. She finally gave up on mom and dad making the arrangements. One day last week when I came to pick her up, Ms. Danielle explained that she was in the middle of a ceremony. She pointed to the corner where Makena and Dillan were both playing in fancy costume dresses and high heels!! They had just gotten married! Apparently they have gotten remarried nearly everyday since!
Ballets have become popular lately as well. Shortly after getting back from Australia, Makena asked if she could put on her wedding dress to go to the ballet. As I was getting the dress, Kessler started asking for his ballet clothes. In the midst, the phone rang. A few minutes later, the kids started down the stairs, holding hands. Makena was wearing her dress over her clothes and Kessler was wearing "daddy's shirt" and underwear. It was so amazingly sweet.
I had planned on writing more, but I don't want to hurt myself as I attempt to reenter the world of blogging!
5 comments:
Im mad at FB for killing my blog too... I used to blog fairly religiously and lately I'm lucky if it's once a month. And I used to love to go back and read about what I've done and reminisce...so I need to get back into it too. Maybe we should make a bet to see which of us can blog more frequently and keep each other on track. i'd love for all my friends to start blogging again..seems FB has killed a lot of blogs.
You're on! I'm up for some friendly competition.
(I'm having a hard time hitting the "publish your comments" button as I feel my mouth (hands) are overloading my a$$ on this one!)
We laughed so hard at Kessler's reaction to the "Daddy shirt". Your kids are so freaking smart! Poor little guy. He just wants to stay a baby for a little while longer. :)
glad to see you back! sounds like a great trip!
Mel, can you send me your blog address, again, please, now, before you're too old to do it!
Femme--it doesn't help that Makena and Kessler play the "Night time-day day game" where Makena plays the mommy and Kessler plays the baby. So, when I call Kessler. He corrects me, "No, I da baby!" It took me a while to get used to the game.. every 5 seconds I'd hear "Mommy!" I'd answer only to be told, "No, Makena mommy!!!".
MJ! How the heck are you!??!
Post a Comment